Friday, October 19, 2007

Protecting My Children

I was first introduced to the Alexander books when I was a junior in high school. My English teacher read Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day to our class. I thought it was so cute. We all have bad days, right?

Fast forward 5 years:
I am now a Kindergarten teacher and have purchased three of the Alexander books for my class.
The kids love to hear about Alexander and his tough times. I think nothing of it!

Fast forward 5 more years:
I am blessed with books upon books to read to my little ones. Books that were once read to a classroom full of children are now read in a rocking chair to my boys. I go through a box of books and pull out the Alexander books. The boys are sure to love these. I put them on Bo's book shelf. It's not long before he chooses one to read before nap time. Then another one before bedtime. The once cute story begins to make me uncomfortable. Alexander has a constant frown on in most of the pictures. Alexander hates this and that. Alexander says his parents can't make him move. Alexander is quite disrespectful in attitude and action. He leaves the impression that the world is against him.

At first, I ignore my growing discomfort with the stories and we continue to read them. My once pleasant three-year old begins to frown much like Alexander. He decides to become a bit more defiant. He tells his dad he's having a horrible, no good day. Is it just coincidence? I don't think so. I was ignoring the leadership of the Holy Spirit. These books were not for me or my children. After talking to Chris we decide to throw the books in the garbage.

I pray over Bo that night, that any spirit of rebellion would be taken away and a spirit of obedience restored. I ask God to please pluck out by the roots any negative influence that has been planted in Bo's heart by the reading of the books. I don't want my son struggling with a spirit of rebellion because I failed to listen and obey God immediately.

I'm not saying that no one should read the Alexander books. I am saying that for this family they were wrong. I hope this post will encourage you to listen to God's leadership in that still small voice. Something as simple as a storybook is a no-no when God says it's a no-no!

No comments: