Monday, October 22, 2007

Discipline for Their Good

The subject of discipline has been the topic of conversation between Chris and myself for awhile now. Our desire is to train our children up in the way they should go. We have read a vast amount of information from authoritarian to permissive and everywhere in between.

I have decided to go straight to the source of all wisdom, God's unchanging Word. I am going to research every use of the word discipline, correction, obedience, and children that are referenced in my concordance. I also want to look up the meaning of the words in the original language. I will share my insights here.

A few things I will be implementing soon:

1. I purchased some biblical character figures for the boys for Christmas. I plan on reading a story straight from scripture and giving the characters to Bo and Boo so they will role play what they have learned. This playtime will be a springboard for discussions on obedience, truthfulness, kindness, etc.

2. I have purchased a knight's shield and sword for the boys. I plan on discussing the importance of being a gentleman at all times. When one of the boys reacts inappropriately I will give them the shield and sword and we will talk about what it means to be a gentleman and a knight in shining armor We have a CD that the boys have listened to and will re-enforce this wonderfully. (The Adventures of Sir Bernard) This CD talks about the twelve chivalric virtues and how we choose to use these everyday.

"The Lord disciplines those
he loves,
and he punishes everyone he
accepts as a son." Hebrews 12:6





No comments: