Friday, December 10, 2010

From the Mouth of Babes...

 The Jesse Tree stands in the corner...
a bare branch that had fallen from our Magnolia tree ...
The ornaments cut and glued by the boys...
tied on with a piece of twine.
We got a little behind,
so I decided to do a devotion at breakfast.
I had read the scripture...
little one interrupting occasionally...
I need a paper towel...
Can I have more juice?
Little Bitty wanting out of the high chair...
Saying, "Out", then crying when I say, "No"
So my second born son, begins to speak...
I cut him off, determined to stay on track with the devotion.
"Is this about the Bible story I just read?"
"No", he responds, "but its good."
I relent and let him speak.
I can see by the look in his eyes that these words are welling up inside.
He needs a chance to speak truth.
And speak truth he does...
"We should really be doing the good things we do, so we can plant our seeds everyday all year long not just at Christmas.  We should give to others all year long, not just at Christmas."
(he's referring to the seeds they have been planting each day when they do a good deed...growing grass/straw for the manger on Christmas morning, and choosing gifts from the Samaritan's Purse catalog to give to Jesus)
I sit speechless for a moment...
because he's got it.
He understands!
And I almost missed it because I was in a hurry to hang an ornament on the tree.
I wonder what other heart words I have missed because I was too
hurried to stop and listen.

 

1 comment:

Heather Johnson said...

They are so mature and precious!