Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Praying from Head to Toe

I found this post on A Wise Woman Builds Her Home, to be just what I needed in this season of life with four little ones five and under. My prayer time for the last several years had consisted of prayer cards with requests for each member of my family. For the last several months I had found the cards too cumbersome and somewhat of a burden. It was very difficult to find the time to sit and pray through the cards at one time.

After reading the above post, I decided to try praying for my children from head to toe. I began with my newest nursling and prayed for her mind all the way down to her toes during one of her nursing sessions. It was very powerful and I felt a mental prayer block that I had seemed to develop fade away with my tears as I touched each tiny body part and prayed scripture over her.

I then tried praying over Bo from head to toe when awoke from nap earlier than everyone else one day. Rocking my big boy in the rocking chair I prayed scripture over his life using his body parts from head to toe as reminders. When I finished he asked me to pray something over his stomach (ha! ha!) and he also wanted to know when it was Boo's turn.

I have since prayed over all of my children several time and find the visual reminders of their little heads, eyes, ears, mouths, faces, hands and feet very helpful in remembering specific scriptures I want to pray over them.

Here are several scriptures that I have been praying over them lately. I am going to take time to look up more scripture to pray over them very soon. I plan to make an index card ring with scriptures dealing specifically with each body part very soon.
mind
"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will." Romans 12:2
eyes
"I will set before my eyes no vile thing"... Psalms 101:3
ears
"Listen to advice and accept instruction and in the end you will be wise." Proverbs 19:20
mouth
"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen." Ephesians 4:29
heart
"I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Psalms 119:11
countenance
"Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame." Psalms 34:5
hands
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward." Colossians 3: 23-24
feet
"Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." Psalms 119:105

No comments: