Monday, June 29, 2009

Protecting Their Purity

One of the responsibilities that we have been given as parents is to protect the purity of our children. This begins when our sons and daughters are very young. Oh be careful little eyes what you see should not only be a song our children sing for fun, but a standard for Chris and I to live by. If the truth found in this song can become the way in which we choose to live our lives we will go far in protecting the purity of our children.

The world is full of sensual images that seek to rob us of our sensitivity to the sins of sensuality, immodesty and sexual immorality. I cannot take my children to the local grocery stores and stand in the check out lines without being extremely concerned about the images that are glaring back from the covers of the magazines. My sons could possibly begin to wrestle with the the sin of lust at a very early age. My daughters could very easily see themselves as less than perfect the way God fashioned them.

There are some places that should be a place of safety. One such place that I can think of is the church. Coming together with other believers should be a time of fellowship and worship not a time to teach my sons how to bounce their eyes from sensual images and my daughters a lesson in immodesty.

Our homes should be places of safety as well. That is one reason we have made the decision to not allow television in our home. The images from prime time programs, commercials and movies do little to protect the purity of ourselves and our children. What images are we allowing into our safe havens from the world?

Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust for more. Ephesians 4:19

But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people. Ephesians 5:3

I will walk in my house with a blameless heart. I will set before my eyes no vile thing. Psalms 101:2b-3

You are a garden locked up, my sister, my bride; you are a spring enclosed, a sealed fountain. Song of Songs 4:12

No comments: