Thursday, February 7, 2008

Update on Habit Training

The month of January has come to a close and I have been working on the habit of being a helper in our home.

Bo and Boo both have really enjoyed helping me cook and wash dishes. It has been difficult to stick to the original schedule because when I let one of them help me the other wants to help as well. Also, on some days when its time for them to help they are playing so well together that I am hesitant to interrupt, so I let them continue playing.

As I have been thinking about instilling in my sons a desire to serve God through helping others, I have become convicted. Since I believe that children pick up on habits through family atmosphere and observation, I need to rethink the way I instruct them to pick up their toys. Many times I stand over them making them pick up the toys and it is seems to be a point of controversy most days. I guess if I expect my children to develop a servants heart, I may need to offer my help.

Instead of "Pick up the toys." "Help me, mommy!" "No, sweetie, mommy did not dump the toys out." Maybe, "I'll be happy to help you pick up your toys."

Of course their will be times when they will be required to clean things up without help and without question, but I need to be more helpful when they ask, so I am modeling how they can be of help to others.

Still learning...
Holli

No comments: