Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Throwing Time Away...

Because we were the ones who have chosen this road less traveled by...having these little ones here...
all day...learning...loving...experiencing life together...
I thought we were somewhat protected from hasty days and hurried lives.
Time slow has always been a priority to me...letting them play...explore...imagine.
But busyness has entered our lives through...me!
I'm always pushing to get this job done...that next thing marked off of my list.
As I sit here in the early morning before little feet begin to run...
I am reading His Word...
 
O Lord, make me know my end
and what is the measure of my days;
let me know how fleeting I am!
 Behold, you have made my days a few handbreadths,
and my lifetime is as nothing before you. Psalms 39:4-5

and this...
"What was the pastor's most profound regret in life?"
"Being in a hurry.  Getting to the next thing without fully entering the thing in front of me.
I cannot think of a single advantage I've ever gained from being in a hurry.
But a thousand broken and missed things, tens of thousands, lie in the wake of all the rushing...Through all that haste I thought I was making up time.  It turns out I was throwing it away."

I read these passages and the words weigh heavy.
I begin to close my eyes and hear myself.

No, I don't have time to play that game right now...
No, I can't read a story right now...
I'm sorry I am folding clothes...I'll hold you in a minute.

In a minute usually never comes because they find something new to occupy and I am off to the next task.
Moments missed...never to be found again...
How many moments have I been missing?

2 comments:

Amanda said...

...just as many as I have.
...just as many as I have.

Oh dear girl, it seems we are down this narrow road together in this life.

Thankfully our eyes are open and wide at that right now.

all by the Lords good grace:)

Kim Quick said...

I had to share some of that on Facebook..it has really been bothering me lately. I feel like I am always rushing around and my little boy is growing up on me way too fast