Thursday, September 16, 2010

Remembering My Grandad

Have your ever lost someone who simply delighted in your presence?  Someone whose face lit up the moment you walked into the room?  Someone who loved your children almost as much as you do?

I have...today my grandfather went to his heavenly home...after struggling with the effects of diabetes and dialysis.

The children and I went to see him last night at the hospital.  He recognized them...did his best to hug them, although his weakened body could barely lift his arm. I knew this was probably our last time with him.  I'll never forget the last words I heard him speak.  He looked at my grandmother standing next to his bed and said, Goodnight Darling, I love you.  His wife of 53 years looking down at him, knowing this might be the last night on this earth that she would hear those words.  My heart ached for her...for my dad and uncle (his sons)...for myself...for my children who love him so...for this little one inside who will never know him.


I'll never forget...
He taught me how to ride my bike
He called football every fall and used some of his extra money to buy my brothers and I cowboy boots.
Every afternoon after getting off of work, he came to our house just to spend a little time with us.
He worked at a paper factory and brought us boxes of school supplies.
He loved trips to the beach...and the mountains...he loved to eat at the Apple Barn

He took me fishing in his boat.
He always wanted to eat at Burger King.
He fixed Christmas lights just for us every year.
He was the biggest kid around the holiday season.
As the years went by, he always wanted great-grandchildren...
and when Bo was born...
I couldn't keep him away...not that I wanted to
He was always there with time to spend just...sitting...playing...sitting and playing some more...
my children adored him...
because he adored them...
and that is going to be the hardest thing of all...
walking into his house without him there...to smile...and hug...and say Hey ya'll, I'm so glad you've come to see me.  You've just made my day.
 Because not many people love that much...



No comments: