Thursday, April 10, 2008

Tasting and Seeing

Taste and see that the Lord is good;... Psalms 34:8

It is true, he has been and continues to be so good to me. Life happens: broken cups, laundry piles, arguing brothers, children testing the limits and suddenly I forget how good he has been to me.

To often my goal each day is to see how many items I can check off of my to-do list. Not, right now honey; in a minute I'll hold you. As I think back over my days this phrase seems to be repeated often.

I've become an expert at being in the room with my children and not really being with them.

But,

God tells me to taste and see that he is good. Tasting his good and perfect gifts take time. If I am not slowly savoring the gifts he has given, then my heart is less likely to swell with gratitude.

The KJV with Strong's defines the word see in this verse as observe, look at, give attention to.

I had one of those moments today. The kind that stops time. A moment that I want to remember forever. The kind that makes me want to freeze the world around me and walk around in frozen time looking, noting, etching it on my memory forever.

My boy looking like a young man. Dressed in baseball pants and his daddy's cap. The cap sitting crooked on his head. So handsome and fresh I just wanted to hug him and not let go.
We played baseball with a stick and oversized kickball. Laughter, giggles, running; just enjoying one another. I realize he is almost the same age as some of the children I taught, but he is my little boy, still so young, so fresh, so impressionable.

How many moments do I let pass by like this everyday...

From now on I savor, work can wait...

I'm off now to enjoy my little ones

Holli

Here
is an related post on savoring God's gifts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is so sweet! You are not the only one that gets caught up in life and every now and then EVERYBODY needs time to look at all that God has blessed him or her with! We are so accustomed to our blessings that sometimes we FORGET that they actually ARE blessings and not just things we have! I know that I forget just how lucky I am to be healthy and be loved by so many people! This post was very eye-opening and will def. impact or at least changes the view of others lives! I love you, Chris, and the kids!