Thursday, April 24, 2008

A Day for the Record Books

Today was a day for the record books. I accomplished so much I can't believe I got everything done.

We set out this morning to go pick up our food from the co-op. We then met some friends and went to the strawberry patch and picked two gallons of berries. After the strawberry patch we went to the farmer's market and bought some eggs, sweet potatoes, greens and salad mix. We then headed over to have lunch with some friends.

After a nice visit with our friends which included lunch, viewing eggs in a nest and lots of playtime we came home for rest.

While the children napped, I set the bread to rising, and cleaned up the kitchen and living room. Boo woke up first and helped me grind the grain for our afternoon of baking. He then helped me mix up the strawberry bread. I decided to bake it in a bundt pan instead of two loaf pans. (so it would look more like a cake...for the boys) Of course we used sucanat as a sweetner instead of white sugar and I only used one cup of sweetener instead of two. We used freshly ground spelt flour (2 cups) and (1 1/8 cup) organic white flour. Instead of vegetable oil I used 1 cup of apple sauce and 1/4 cup butter.

Bo woke up next and he helped me make butter. Our five gallons of milk had been sitting in the frig overnight and the cream had risen to the top, so we scooped about 1/3 cup of cream off of each gallon and put it in the blender. Bo then made our butter. He did a great job watching it and stopping the blender when the yellow butter seperated from the liquid. We then squeezed it out with a cheesecloth and put it in the frig.

We also made some strawberry butter to use as icing for our cake. I softened a stick of butter to room temperature and put it in the blender with 4 strawberries and a couple of tablespoons of maple syrup. It was wonderful!

When I gave Boo a piece of cake with the strawberry butter on it, he licked it off and said he wanted more cake.

The boys helped me wash the dishes and then decided they wanted to play outside.

So, with Lora watching me from the highchair, I made a batch of strawberry muffins for breakfast.

My mom and brother came over and then we fixed hamburgers for supper.

I still can't believe I accomplished all of that in one day.

Holli

1 comment:

Nicole said...

We just tried this recipe tonight (Hunter helped me make it) and it was great! We added your icing on top- thank you for the recipe link!