Friday, April 25, 2008

Another Busy Day in the Kitchen

Today was another busy day in the kitchen. Yesterday the boys and I picked another two gallons of strawberries. So since Chris was home today finishing up the tile job in the bathroom the boys were occupied "helping" daddy.

I decided to make the best of my time, so I made banana bread, strawberry bread, strawberry butter, homemade granola, homemade yogurt and a nice big supper.

I had been wanting to make granola for awhile. I have a running of list of things that I would like to find a substitute for. The less I depend on pre-packaged foods the better off our health will be.

Here are a few of the things for which I would like to find a healthier option:

-chocolate chips- (the ones I buy currently contain soy as a preservative)
-juice- (again the organic apple pear juice is from concentrate and contains natural flavor..aka..soy) fresh pressed juice would be much better. I found some last trip to the store, but it wasn't organic)
-granola bars-the boys enjoy granola bars occasionally for a quick snack. I have found several recipes that I would like to try.
gum-the boys love to chew gum. They can reach the drawer that it is in and sometimes chew several pieces a day. I thought I was buying a better kind Trident with Xylitol. I looked more closely at the ingredient list and it also contains aspartame (Yikes!)

Holli
who is still learning and making changes day by day to better care for my family.

date is wrong on above post..should be Tuesday 4/29

No comments: