Friday, November 11, 2011

Honoring The Last Of A Generation...

For the last couple of years Veteran's Day has been a special day here at our house.
We have chosen to make cards and deliver them to the local nursing home in honor of the last few
men and women of the WWII generation.
We began the day with a story form the newspaper...a local veteran was a spy...
We'll read about a couple of more local veterans in the paper this afternoon and tomorrow...
real men...with real stories...
That's why we go to the nursing home to shake the hands of the men who fought for our freedom.
This is Mr. Ward...he spent two years in active combat..he was awarded the bronze star 60 years after he served.  We met Mr. Ward last year and have visited him on several occasions since...

We also met Mr. Ponder...he was stationed in Korea...he told us he was just thankful that he survived...

We had one card left...we were asked to visit "Etter"...she doesn't have many visitors...she's sad a lot of the time...
This was one visit that made my day...she reminded me of my MaMaw who passed away a couple of years ago.  She hugged all of the little ones...she was so happy with  the card LouLou made for her.
She told us she was 96 years old born in 1914...she served in the Navy.  Here she is showing the littles how she would crank the planes by spinning the propellers...
We left the nursing home with a smile on our face and plans to visit our new friends soon!
We decided to finish the morning with a trip to Veteran's Memorial Park.




3 comments:

Carissa Anne said...

The BEST post I have read in blogland in a month!!!

What you are teaching your children and what you have done for these vets is PRICELESS!!!!

"Honoring the last of a generation."

I was just saying to my husband the other day how sad I felt, knowing that this generation will not be with us for much longer.

Any chance that you would be able to get addresses for these sweet people?? I would love for my children and I to write them.
swishfam$@sbcglobal.net


Love Carissa

Kim Quick said...

Holly...I agree 100% with Carissa...that post brought tears to my eyes...I'm sure you made their day!!! Such a special blessing you are to these sweet souls!

Holli said...

Thank you both for your sweet words...the elderly have always held a special place in my heart...maybe because I had seven grandmothers living when I was born...and five still around for my wedding;-)