Monday, January 12, 2009

Mommy Homework Update

After the first week of reading, I have made lots of notes and am learning lots of valuable info.

I have read the first six chapters of Raising Godly Tomatoes. I have been making lots of notes in the book and summarizing the chapters as I read them. The most important thing I have read is to expect pleasant, prompt obedience each time I ask the little ones to do or not do something. I was always consistent with making them obey, but I never really new how to handle a bad attitude when it showcased itself. I am making them re-do the task if a bad attitude is displayed and requiring them to say, "yes mommy" when I give them instructions.

Lou Lou seems to be the most difficult at this point. She does really well obeying most requests but occasionally her obedience is not very prompt. Also I feel like I am having to start all over again each morning. I know she is little and she is wondering do I mean no all the time or just this time. She often cries when I ask her to hold my hand when we are walking or sit still on my lap for bible time. She will hold my hand and sit still with a couple of reminders but the crying about is driving me crazy and I am not sure what to do yet. I am reminding her to be quiet and she eventually stops but it takes awhile.

I was having a lot of trouble with Boo wanting to retreat to his room and pout when something did not go his way. He was generally whiny and had an unpleasant face when he was asked to do something. I have not been letting him go to his room at all when he is upset, but he has to stay close to me. He is learning to wipe the unhappy look off of his face and do things with a "yes. mommy" and smile. I can definately see improvements to his general attitude.

I have read the first two chapters of Honey for a Child's Heart. This book has really been enjoyable and has reminded me of the importance of feeding the imaginations of my children with wonderful stories and books, not television and video games.

I have finished the first few sections of Drawing with Children. I see much potential in this book to teach me how to draw and in turn I can begin teaching Bo really soon. He asked me the other day when we were going to start homeschooling and I said after I finished this book I was going to teach him how to draw. I have my art supply list made and am ready to but them so I can go ahead with the lessons.

I am reading along with the Ambleside Year 0 yahoo group and I have finished the preface to volume one of the Original Homeschooling Series.

I did not read any of Pocketful of Pinecones. I may have to save this one for later. Since we love nature and do a good job of enjoying God's creation, this one can wait until I finish one of the others.

Lots to learn...
Holli

2 comments:

Rachel Ballenger said...

Holli,
I need your new home address. I need to send your Maker's Diet book back to you!!!! I've had it way too long! Enjoyed it greatly though!
Please send your physical address to me at ballengerfamily@gmail.com

Thanks!
Rachel

Unknown said...

Hey Holli! It's been forever! I've updated my blog & will be posting a lot more now! Also, congrats about the soon-to-be-here new GIRL!!!! YAY! I'm so happy for yall! I hope that everything is going well & that I hear from you extremely soon! I love you and miss you like crazy! <3 Abby Lee