Saturday, December 6, 2008

Brokenness over sin...

Since I have been a mommy, God has continually used my children to bring me to my knees and to teach me more about his love, grace and character than anyone else. Today was no exception.

Bo aggravated his brother this morning with a warning from me that he was not to do that specific thing again. A couple of hours later...it happens...again. In this home we use The 21 Rules of Our Home. These rules have become the foundation of the order we expect in this home. The rules are based on scripture. I reference a scripture for each rule we memorize. Rule 21 is In this home, when we forget or disobey any of the 21 rules of our home, we accept discipline and instruction. So Bo had to be corrected.

After the correction, I went out to help Boo close the chicken coop. I came back in and Bo was weeping uncontrollably on the couch. I picked him up and just held him asking him what was wrong. He said, I thought something I should not have thought. I rocked him and sang to him. I asked him to tell mommy what he had said. After about 20 minutes he finally told me he thought a mean thought about Boo. I should not have done that mommy and I am sorry. We prayed, I told him that:

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1John 1:9
He prayed..he asked for forgiveness...he began to clam down and return to the happy little boy I know. But, I will never forget that brokenness. I have never seen him so convicted...so uncomfortable..and I thought I need some of that.
After years of dealing with sin, I guess I've become a little hardened to it. When was the last time I sat down and wept because I has a harsh thought about someone? When have been so broken over my own sin that I couldn't get it out of my mind until it was dealt with. I pray for a brokenness like my sweet Bo. A heart so tender to wrong...a heart knowing he had disobeyed God...a heart out of fellowship longing to return.
Give me a heart like a child...
Still Learning,
Holli

No comments: