Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Some things that haven't worked...

In our quest for healthier eating, there have been a few changes that I have made that did not work so well for us. When I started reading about traditional food preaparations, I read that grains were sprouted before making breads, etc. Well instead of sprouting my own grain, I bought sprouted grain bread from the health food store. It has never been my favorite, but I can eat it. The boys did not seem to mind the drier taste. I guess it's because we put mayo or mustard on our sandwhiches for a little moisture. Chris cannot stand the sprouted breads. He doesn't eat any condiments on his sandwhich, so I am sure it is rather dry. I have went back to buying the loaves of organic honey wheat or three seed bread. It does make a better sandwhich!



I have tried making bread before. I found a recipe for an artisian loaf of bread made in the oven with my crockpot insert! It was pretty good, but not for sandwhiches. (I need to make some more of that.)



I also have some water Kefir grains that I have tried to keep going. I keep it up for awhile and then I start to worry about the alcohol content. I now its probably not much, but when I'm giving it to the little ones, I wonder.



Things I am trying...



I am still trying to make my own yogurt. I have only tried it once. It did not turn out quite right, but I used it in my baking. I'm going to give it another try. I really want to perfect this since we all love yogurt!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

How in the world do you make your own yogurt? That sounds interesting....